Quarterly Kickoff Recap: How to Know How Much to Take On
Once you have your strategic plan for 2022, how are you going to bring the plan to life? Do you have a system for deciding how much to take on and when?
Creating your management system calendar will not only equip you with a visual representation of your most significant activities in the coming year, it will also help you manage the pressure you’re putting on your organization.
In this webinar, you’ll learn:
- How to create a visual representation of your most significant corporate activities in the upcoming year
- Tips for identifying which months are your bottlenecks and when to work on key projects
- Management system techniques to make decisions about how many projects and priorities to establish in the coming year
Keep the big picture in mind
When going through this exercise, here are some areas for you to think through and potentially add corresponding events to your management system calendar:
- Key activities – things that are on your existing calendar such as annual performance and compensation reviews
- Seasonality – think about the activities that have seasonality to them, regardless of the seasonality of your business
- Business improvement activities
Visualizing what’s important
- Start with your current system by adding your existing activities to the management calendar
- Work with your team to consider additions to make
- Leave room to add the strategic initiatives that come from your annual and quarterly planning session
- Create a calendar that shows all your activities laid out in one place so you can see the months that are busier (your bottlenecks) and the opportunities for relief (the months that have less going on). This will help you reorganize as needed. The biggest thing at this step is to remember: you don’t need to continue something just because that’s what’s historically been done. If your performance reviews create a bottleneck, consider starting a new routine to give managers and their employees the time and mental space to properly participate.
Lay out management system
As you lay out your management system calendar, use this checklist to see if you’ve covered all your bases:
- Are all our regular events depicted here?
- What are we missing?
- Are there any projects that should be added?
- Where are your bottlenecks?
- Where are your relief opportunities?
Your Performance Partner
At Mahoney Performance Institute, we empower leaders to reach and exceed their goals at work and in life.
Being proactive and creating your management system calendar will help to manage the pressure you’re putting on your organization and set realistic expectations for how much you can take on and accomplish in the coming year.